The Q&A Archives: Bermuda Grass Control

Question: I sprayed bermuda grass with Round Up, waited until it turned brown, sprayed it again, then covered it with 4-6 inches of mulch, planted flowers in it, and now the bermuda has started to poke back through the mulch in places. Any suggestions on controlling this weed?

Answer: I expect the applications of Round-Up were effective on the visible weeds, but since Bermuda grass spreads by stolons, there may have been plant parts not touched by the herbicide.<br><br>The best control is to dig the weed out, getting as much root and spreading stolons as possible, and/or lay down a couple of layers of corrugated cardboard followed by other mulch. Try not to let the Bermuda grass flower and go to seed before you remove it.