The Q&A Archives: Lifting Elephant Ear

Question: I dug my elephant ears this year for the first time. When I dug them up, there were no tubers, just roots in all directions around the base of the plant. They are now laying in my basement drying out. What should I do with them?

Answer: According to the Iowa State University Horticulture Department, Elephant ear (Colocasia esculenta), should be treated in this manner: dig before frost, cut the top back to 2 inches, dry 2-3 weeks, shake off excess soil and remove the dead top. Pack in peat or sawdust, and store at 45F to 55F. A basement or garage should be a good storage place.<br><br>In spring, when the weather warms, plant directly in the garden or plant in a container and bury the container in the soil.