The Q&A Archives: Feeding Daphne?

Question: I have a variegated daphne (daphne odora marginata) and I'm having a hard time with it. One moment it looks unhappy and another moment it looks healthy. I have it in a pot. I tried to put it in the ground and it started to die.
Luisa Trujillo

Answer: Daphne odora is prized for the highly perfumed flowers it produces, but even with the most attentive care it can be terribly difficult to grow. Provide yur daphne with excellent soil drainage (add perlite to commercially prepared potting soil for planting in a container), plant it in a place where it will receive morning sun but afternoon shade, and try to keep the roots cool by shading them from the mid-afternoon sun. Daphne prefers neutral soil (7.0 on the pH scale) that is kept on the dry side. Water your daphne sparingly, especially during the fall and winter months. Feed just after bloom with an all-purpose garden fertilizer, applying at rates listed on the label. Hope your daphne thrives for you!