The Q&A Archives: When To Plant Winter Gem Boxwood

Question: I got a WINTER GEM BOXWOOD for a gift.It is the 30th of Nov. Is it still safe to plant it? I live in VA BEACH VA.This time of the year the tempature is up and down. Tonight its going to be in the 30s and tommrow will be in the 40s.Monday in the 50s Monday night in the 40s. So is it still safe to plant THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BOB SCHMEAL

Answer: Assuming the plant has been outside up until now, it is best to plant it immediately. Make sure the soil stays evenly moist (not sopping wet) and provide a wind break for it if it is in a windy spot. Apply several inches of organic mulch such as shredded bark over the root zone but do not allow it to touch the center stems. You might also consider using an antidessicant spray such as Wiltpruf -- read and follow the label instructions. Enjoy your boxwood!