The Q&A Archives: Pansy Seedlings Stopped Growing

Question: I started some pansy seeds about a month ago in seed flats. I have growing lights and heating mats that keep the soil at about 70. They germinated with no problem, but just quit after that. I have had seedlings about 1/4" tall for several weeks. Theydon't die-they don't grow. How do the nurseries do it?

Answer: Pansies are cool-season annuals. They germinate within 14 days of planting, prefer soil temperatures of 70F - 75F to germinate, and germinate best in dark conditions. Pansies also bloom and grow best in cool weather. <br><br>Since your plants are up but not growing, I believe it's too warm for them. They'll still need light, but not warm soil, so turn off the heat mats, and they should start growing again.