The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Fruit Trees

Question: happy new year i have a semi dwarf cherry tree that is about ten years old with a trunk diameter of about 3 inches i would like to move this tree. is it safe to move without losing the tree and if it is okay to when should i move it thank you for your time also if i move it can i mix some cowmanure in the soil what ever help will be appreciated i really want to move this tree dont let me move it if the tree will die my wife will have sleeping in the barn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks you are great folks

Answer: Unfortunately, I think this tree is probably just too well established in its current location to be moved successfully without specialized professional tree moving equipment such as a mechanized tree spade and winch, etc. The tree would need to be prepared for transplanting by doing root pruning over a year in advance, too. This technique stimulates root growth closer to the trunk so that the tree will be able to re-establish quickly after the move. (Tree roots typically spread even wider under ground than the branches spread.) You might want to look into planting a replacement in the new location instead. I'm really sorry I can't be more encouraging, but I really don't want you to end up sleeping in the barn, either.