The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Sago Palm

Question: I purchased a monrovia sago palm from a local nursery last summer and kept it outdoors then in partial sun and it was fine. I moved it indoors when it started to get cool. I keep it in a room with morning sun. The bottom leaves gradually started turning yellow. They are now all yellow on the bottom. I only water the plant once every 2-3 weeks because it seems to get more yellow each time I water it. I am certainly not overwatering. Can you tell what to do?

Answer: Sago palms will put out new growth at the top and in compensation for that, go on and lose leaves at the bottom. Based on your description, and since the yellowing is only at the base and not in the newer growth at the top, I think what you are seeing is the result of that natural balancing. Trim away the yellowed foliage cutting as close to the center trunk as possible.