The Q&A Archives: Bamboo

Question: I have seen bamboo used as a lawn border here in N.C.<br>I would like to know where to buy it, and will it really will survive here and grow normally? Also, I would appreciate any other related ideas about bamboo.<br>

Answer: First of all, I would be very, very, very careful about putting bamboo in my yard if I were you, especially on my property borders. It is EXTREMELY invasive. There are a few dwarf varieties that don't spread so rampantly but you have to be very careful. The roots go very deeply into the ground and I have heard of people being sued by their neighbors over invading bamboo, having to have it removed with a backhoe, and one person I know had to bury sheet metal several feet deep on his property line to keep his neighbors bamboo out. Now that I have scared you, I can recommend one variety that is marketed as "non-invasive". It is Fargesia murielae or "Hardy Clump Bamboo". It should grow in your area, as it is hardy in zones 4-9. The stemsare between 8-12' high and have a weeping habit. This bamboo is available from Wayside Gardens. You can reach them at Ph. # 1-800-845-1124. It is a bit on the expensive side, but folks who really want bamboo are usually willing to pay the price to get the non-invasive benefits. This variety, and many others, are also available at Northern Groves Bamboo. You can visit their website at