The Q&A Archives: Leaning Umbrella Tree

Question: What would cause a plant to lean NOTICEABLY to one side? It has been growing with light on either side, so I don't think light chasing is the culprit. Ccould it have to do with gravity or watering habits? Ccan we correct it? Iit's really a beautiful healthy plant although funny looking! =)
thank you!

Answer: You're correct in thinking a plant will lean toward the strongest source of light. It's a good idea to rotate plants a quarter turn each week, even when you think the light is equal on all sides. This will encourage an upright habit with equal growth on all sides. Your plant may be leaning because there are more leaves on one side, and the extra weight is pulling it in one direction. Or there may be some problem with the roots. I'd unpot the plant and inspect the root system. Could be that waterlogged soil caused some root rot and your plant is only anchored in the soil on one side. I'll bet a little investigation beneath the soil surface will solve the mystery! Best wishes with your umbrella tree!