The Q&A Archives: Morning Glories in Containers

Question: I would like to grow some annual vines on a trellis on my small back porch. Can I grow morning glories in a container for this purpose? What size pot should I use for two or three plants?

Answer: Most plants adapt to containers without problem, especially annuals. I'd use at least a one-gallon container for a few plants, or even a window box set on the porch. Be sure to use a potting mix rather than soil from the garden, and keep an eye on the pots in warm weather because they dry out quickly. If you use a self-watering pot or other automatic watering device you won't have to be quite as vigilant. You may want to use slightly larger containers, and plant some shrubby annuals in front of the vines, to hide any yellowing lower leaves.