The Q&A Archives: Stephanotis Pods/fruit

Question: I have a madagascar jasmine (stephanotis) and it has 2 large pods, they are green and about the size of large avocados. Are these seed pods, fruit or what? I've had this particular plant for about 5 years and this is the first time I've seen these "pods". In addition, I have a curious dog, so are these "pods" poisonous? Thanks.

It's not common, but Stephanotis can produce seed pods. The fruits are about the size of a small pear and can take up to six months for the seeds inside to mature before the pods are ready to harvest. While the fruit is not considered edible, it's not considered poisonous, either. Keep children and pets away from the pods, allow the pods to turn a tannish-brown before removing them from the plant, then sow the seeds in moistened potting soil. With good care and a little bit of luck, your seeds will produce new plants!