The Q&A Archives: Tree Design

Question: I'm in the process of determining what type of trees I can consider to shade my driveway as well as provide backyard shade; beauty would be a plus.
I live in Templeton, California (Central Coast), north San Luis Obispo county, vineyard country.
Summer = 105 degrees
Winter = freezing conditions
The following trees were suggested:
Liquid Amber Rotundiloba
Chinese Pistache
Chantecleer Ornamental Pear
California White Alder
What are your thoughts ?
Thank you for your prompt reply . . .

. . . Dino Putrino

Answer: Each of the trees you list have their own special qualities, so your choice will depend upon personal preferences. Liquidambar has an attractive, uniform shape and will consistently produce spectacular autumn color. The foliage turns red, orange, and bright yellow. Ornamental pear also produces brilliant red leaf color in the fall. These trees have a rounded canopy. White Alder has a very broad canopy (reaching 40'-50') and no fall color. Unless you have lots of room, alder may not be the tree for you. Chinese Pistache develops orange and red autumn colors, but also produces fruit, which may not be acceptible to you if you're concerned about litter along your driveway. Hope the above information helps you decide which tree is best for your landscape.