The Q&A Archives: Can Trumpet Vine Live In Pots?

Question: I have a large wall I would like to cover. Can I grow a trumpet vine in a large pot?

Answer: Trumpet Vine (Brugmansia) will readily adapt to growing in a container. Brugmansia or Angel's Trumpet loves a well drained soil with plenty of organic matter. It is not too picky about pH, but I would suggest avoiding very acid or very alkaline conditions. These plants are cold tender and will freeze to the ground most winters. They usually return the following spring if you mulch the base of the plant well. Give your Brugmansia full sun, although it will tolerate some partial shade. Keep it well watered with a good soaking every 5 days or so. Fertilize it when growth begins in the spring and every 4 weeks through early August with a complete fertilizer.

Good luck with your Brugmansia!