The Q&A Archives: Do Bulbs Grow Better In Clay Pots?

Question: do bulbs grow better in clay, ceramic, or plastic pots?

Answer: To some extent your answer might depend on the type of bulb you are growing. However, as long as the container has drainage holes at the bottom you could use any of the three. Plastic pots tend to be least expensive. Plastic and ceramic (the hard-fired clays) are not porous the way the terra cotta clay pots are. This can make the soil stay moister longer between waterings because it can't evaporate through the sides of the pot. Terra cotta should not be exposed to freezing temperatures as this can cause it to deteriorate -- that could be a consideration if you are chilling bulbs outside. In my experience, it often ends up that I use a plastic pot for growing the bulbs, then hide it inside a more attractive container for display during the bloom period. I hope this answers your question.