The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Blood Orange

Question: I live in the Central Valley of California, Manteca, zone 9 where we have very hot summers. Can I grow a Dwarf Blood Orange in an container and still get fruit.

Answer: Citrus trees grow and produce best where summer weather is warm and they're not subjected to freezing temperatures. California's central valley would certainly provide the summer heat, but winter cold can damage or kill citrus trees. If you have a growing area that's protected, one you know will be frost-free, you can grow a citrus tree outdoors. If that's not possible, grow your blood orange in a container so you can bring it indoors over the winter months. Citrus trees make attractive houseplants! Best wishes with your new orange tree!