The Q&A Archives: Washington Navel Orange Foliage

Question: I just purchased a Monrovia Dwarf Washington Navel orange bush and potted it in a 20" container on my patio. It's beautiful, has 4 oranges beginning and lots of flowers.

I noticed it has some yellowing leaves. What could be the cause of this and should I remove the yellowing leaves? In addition, are there instructions on pruning that will help yield the most fruit?

Thank you,

Answer: It's not unusual for newly transplanted trees and shrubs to go through an adjustment period and lose a few leaves in the process. Your tree may also be reacting to differences in temperature and humidity in its new location. Don't remove the yellowing leaves - they'll fall off when they're ready. Water often enough to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. As a rule, citrus trees are not regularly pruned. Allow your tree to develop a basic framework as it matures. You can safely prune off any errant branches, but regular pruning should be unnecessary.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"