The Q&A Archives: Night Blooming Jasmine - In The Pacific Northwest?

Question: I just moved to Oregon from Los Angeles - I miss my night blooming jasmine! Can I plant it in a pot and bring it in during the winter? Is there other night blooming alternatives that I can grow near my deck that are fragrant? Help! Also, is there such a thing as a frost hardy citrus tree? I just attended the Yard & Garden show in Portland, and one vendor claimed to have a Washington navel orange that would last out in the orchard.

Lisa Coplen

Answer: Cestrum nocturnum is the night blooming jasmine, but the plant is too tender to grow outdoors all year around in the Pacific Northwest. Certainly you can plant it in a pot and take it indoors over the winter, but it won't perform well until it's back outdoors again. If you're willing to try growing a look-alike, Trachelospermum, or star jasmine, has delightfully fragrant, pinwheel-shaped blooms that mimic those of night blooming jasmine. These flowers open during the day, but the fragrance makes this plant worth growing. It's hardy outdoors and has a vining, climbing habit.

I'm not aware of a citrus tree unaffected by the winter snow and ice experienced in the Pacific Northwest. I'd take a wait and see attitude with the claims made on that one!