The Q&A Archives: Pollinization Of Meyer Lemon Indoor For The Winter

Question: How does a Meyer lemon get pollinated when it is kept indoor while it blooms over the winter? We are zone 8 on the Puget Sound and I bring it in from about Thanksgiving through early March. I managed to have lemons this last year, but I am not sure when they were pollinated. This set of blooms seems to be about done and I don't see as many lemons as last year.

Answer: Your Meyer lemon is self-pollinating. When the pollen is ripe, it drops down onto the stigma. You can hedge your bet by gently shaking the tree after the flowers open fully, or by playing bee and gently dusting the inside of each flower with a small, soft brush. Some years citrus trees produce lots of fruit and other years they don't. It's nothing to worry about. Enjoy your lemons!