The Q&A Archives: Pool Plants - Small Places

Question: Hi, I'm trying to find a plant that will grow vertically (no higher than 10 ft) and can fit in a space around 1.5 ft. wide - and it it's near a swimming pool (evergreen - ideal). I've been looking at Junipers, but would like a few more options for this sunny location. The spot we have lines a fence and is approx. 6ft. wide.

Thank You!

Answer: A suggestion is Nandina (Heavenly Bamboo). This shrub isn't really related to bamboo, but the upright stems have joints, similar to those of bamboo. The foliage is medium-green, changing to orange with reddish hues during the winter months. It's a broadleaf evergreen and does produce flowers (rather insignificant) and sometimes small berries, but is quite well behaved and a good choice for near ponds and pools.

If you'd rather have an upright conifer-type plant, a dwarf Italian Cypress would fit the situation you describe.