The Q&A Archives: Trumpet Vines in Northern New York

Question: In 1994 I put in two trumpet vines (one yellow, one red) from nursery stock in my back yard. The plants were about 1' high at that time. They're along a fence and are intertwining nicely by my training and have vigorous foliage growth. And the soilruns fairly moist, even in summer. They are growing wonderfully; but have not bloomed yet. When can I expect to get flowers on them? Is there anything I should be doing other than just letting them grow? Brownie Sprung Lockport, NY

Answer: Trumpet vine flowers occur on new growth (as opposed to flowering on old wood). I would suspect that the plants are busy building up reserves in their root systems to enable flowering. Also, Lockport is the northern edge of their range and they may nothave a long enough growing season to put out flowers, especially if they dieback to the ground each year. Pamper them through the winter, especially before you get your famous snows, and they should flower as the plant ages and matures..