The Q&A Archives: How to Use Compost

Question: This is the first year I'll have compost for planting. How do I use it? Do I put some in with each plant (and if so, how much), or do I just add it to my whole garden?

Answer: I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question! It's the busy season here...but there's probably still snow on the ground in Connecticut, so planting hasn't begun yet, I imagine.

You can do either or both: put some in each planting hole adn incorporate it throughout the soil. It depends on how much "black gold" you have to work with, really. If you have just a bit, put a double handful in each planting hole and mix it with the soil. Spread mulch elsewhere on the soil, which will add humus throughout the garden as it decays.

If you'd like to read more about how to use your compost, and its benefits to your soil, read

Building Soil 101

Organic Matters

Happy Gardening!