The Q&A Archives: Flower Id

Question: When I was in Italy a few years back, in March, there was a flower I saw frequently. The flower was used cut in vases and bouquets. The flowers were small (approx 1/4 inch diameter) yellow and pom-pom type shape. I have never seen this flower around here. Can you identify it?

Answer: I have checked with a friend in Italy who checked with a florist or two, and they are not familiar with anything specifically Italian that would match that description.

Today's cut flower market is international with plants grown and flown literally overnight all over the world. It is quite mindboggling.

Since we were unable to identify anything specific to Italy, you might want to check with some of your larger local florists and see if they can figure out what it might be. They may also have catalog photos you could look at to identify it, in my experience this is often the easiest way to identify a plant as opposed to trying to describe it. (For instance, it occurs to me that it might be some type of forced tree blossom or bud, although of course it could equally well be something tropical.)

I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you, the flower sounds charming, good luck in your quest!