The Q&A Archives: Growth Rate Of A Tiny Towers Italian Cypress

Question: I just submitted a question regarding how fast a blue Italian cypress grows and likewise I want to know how slow a Tiny Towers Italian Cypress grows? I am not sure what constitutes slow growing? I want to place them in a part sunny/ part shade location and I live in Portland Oregon.

The rate of growth is quite dependent upon growing conditions. Ideal conditions (in terms of climate, soil type, frequency of fertilization and water availability) will produce the best growth in any plant. Rate of growth is broadly divided into slow - less than 6" of new growth each year; moderate - 6"-12" of growth; and fast - 12" or more new growth each year. Obviously, dwarf, miniature, or plants on dwarfing rootstock will remain smaller than their standard counterparts. Tiny Towers Italian Cypress has a very slow growth habit and will reach 8' tall and 2' wide in about 10 years. It will continue to grow for the next 15-20 years and reach the mature height of about 30'. Italian Cypress prefers to be planted in full sun. A few hours of morning shade is tolerable, but they perform best in all day sunshine.