The Q&A Archives: Preparing Soil - Blue Skies Lilac

Question: I bought the Monrovia Blue Sky Lilac from Armstrong Nursery. My soil is very very sandy, I want to prepare the soil before I plant. What should I do to prepare?

Answer: Sandy soil drains very quickly, which will make the roots of your lilac happy. However, sandy soils generally do not have an abundance of nutrients. So, to make your lilac thrive, amend your sandy soil with some organic matter such as compost or aged manure. The best way to go about this is to spread 3"-4" of organic matter over the soil surface and dig it in to a depth of 8"-12". This is where the majority of the roots will be concentrated, so they'll benefit from the nutrients released from the decomposing organic matter. Enjoy your new lilac!