The Q&A Archives: Most Heat Tolerant Acer Palmatum Or Acer Japonicum

Question: Looking at Sangukaku, Fern-leaf, Oshi-beni, Palmatum (green), and wondering which will be most likely not to burn in western sun. I'd like to combine 3 but would want to know which one to plant on the west. Tall Deodar Cedar and Rubber Tree shade from south some of the day, but it gets very hot mid summer when sun is high. Gosh I hope one variety could work! Thank you! Lynn Zone 23

Answer: Sadly, the foliage on the trees you mention will develop burned edges when exposed to mid-day sun in your region. They grow happily along the coast, but not inland. Sorry. If it's a maple-leaf look that you're after, why not consider planting Liquidambar (sweet gum) instead? It's adapted to your climate and will produce beautiful fall color. Best wishes with your landscape!