The Q&A Archives: Silver Princess Euonymous Compared To Variegated Boxleaf

Question: Hi
We are on the verge of planting around 40 small shrubs of the same kind. I liked the look of the Euonymous japonicus 'Moness' at my nursery. However, I am confused. How does this differ from the E. japonicus 'microphyllus variegatus'? I saw the micro variety. on your website, but not at my nursery. And, why isn't the "Moness' in my Sunset Western Garden Book? Do the leaves look the same, but maybe the 'Moness' is a bit taller than the variegated boxleaf? Does the 'Moness' stay at 2-3 feet without shearing? We want something around 30" and don't want the formal look of shearing. I think I want the 'Moness', but want to be sure of what I am getting, since this is a large investment. If I happen to get the 'microphyllus variegatus' instead from my gardener, I guess what I am asking is will it suit my needs. Bby the way, I don't like the yellow leaves of the 'Sunny Delight', so I hope I am right that the variegated one is whitish. I am not an expert, so as much detail as you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for your time

Answer: Euonymus japonicus 'Microphyllus Variegatus', the Variegated Boxleaf Euonymus, has a formal appearance in that it is a compact grower and needs little, if any pruning to keep its symmetrical shape. The margins of the leaves are white. It grows only 1-2' tall and 1' wide. It may be a bit smaller than you want. Euonymus japonicus 'Moness', the Silver Princess Boxleaf Euonymus, has a more upright growth habit. The foliage is larger, and the leaf edges are silvery white. It grows 2'-3' tall and wide, and sounds as though it's the better plant for the situation you describe. 'Moness' is a recent Monrovia introduction and probably was not available when your Sunset Western Garden Book was published.