The Q&A Archives: Tomato Varities

Question: I live in the mountains and the altitude is 2000 feet higher <br>than Denver so the cooler weather and shorter growing season never seems to work out for the seeds recommended for my area. How can I pick a tomato which is optimum for my area?

Answer: You're correct - you need a short-season tomato. I've had great luck with 'Oregon Spring', 'Stupice', 'Oregon Eleven' and 'Santiam'. All of these are available from Territorial Seeds, (PO Box 157, Cottage Grove, OR97424; Ph# 541/942-9547). Another supplier is High Altitude Gardens (PO Box 1048, Hailey, ID 83333-1048; ph# 208/7788-4363; e-mail: Also, contact your extension service (ph# 303/271-8980) to see which varieties they recommend for high-elevation gardeners.