The Q&A Archives: Scotch Broom

Question: How do I eradicate scotch broom in a year old lawn? Have many new shoots. Thanks.

Answer: I'm afraid there are no herbicides available to homeowners that are effective against Scotch Broom. The best control methods are to mow frequently to remove foliage, and/or to manually remove the plants. When you mow, you'll remove the top growth and without leaves, the broom cannot manufacture nutrients and eventually the roots will starve out.

I'd put the time and effort into manually removing the plants if it were my yard. Complete removal of roots is necessary for long term control. There's an ingenious tool for pulling Scotch broom and gorse called Weed Wrench. It is available from New Tribe, 5517 Riverbanks Rd., Grants Pass, OR 97527. Tel: 541-476-9492 e-mail:

The tool has jaws that grip the stem of a plant
as it is pried out of the ground and can be used on small as well as large, well-established broom plants.

Hope the above information is helpful!