The Q&A Archives: Bolting Brussels Sprouts

Question: This fall I grew Brussels sprouts and they appeared to be doing well. I went on vacation and when I returned they had flowered and were full of seeds. After that no sprouts appeared so I gave up on them. I don't know what to do next time round to make this successful.

Answer: Sounds as though your Brussels sprouts were allowed to become overmature. Once they bolt (go to flower) they set seeds and die. That's just the nature of an annual crop. Sometimes unseasonably warm weather can hasten maturing of cool season crops. Next year check the seed packet to find the days-to-maturity and then mark the approximate date of harvesting on your calendar. That way, even if you're out of town, someone can harvest your sprouts.