The Q&A Archives: Planting And Care Of Freisias

Question: How do I know when to plant potted FREISIAS, and how do I care for them, sun? shade?

Answer: For optimal bloom, place the freesias in a cool spot (65 degrees) in bright, indirect sunlight. Keep the soil moist and rotate the pot for uniform growth. Although freesias are usually discarded after they bloom, gardeners in warm climates can keep freesias growing in the following way:
When flowers have faded, allow the planting mix to dry out and the foliage to die back. Remove the corms (fat roots), clean and store them in a warm dry place for 3-4 months. The best planting time in the garden is when cool temperatures prevail. Plant in full sun and do not allow the soil to dry out. Freesias should bloom 3-4 months after planting.