The Q&A Archives: Planting Zones

Question: I am interested in planting a Royal Purple Smoke Tree in at the end of my drive way in a full sun and not well irrigated area approimately 2 ft x 4 ft that is surrounded by concrete. Your web site lists this plant as appropriate for Zones 4-8. Can you please tell me if I live in the correct growing zone? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer: A smoke tree will grow well in your gardening region and the site you describe sounds suitable. Smoke trees do best when planted in poor soil and are water-stressed. To get your tree off to a good start, you'll want to water it regularly during its first growing season to help the root system become established. After that, it should be happy with natural rainfall.