The Q&A Archives: Bushel Baskets

Question: I am looking for bushel baskets made of wood. I would like several sizes but can't seem to find any of any size. I need a source, perhaps an e-mail address or phone number.

Answer: It depends on what type of bushel basket you need. If you want work baskets you can usually obtain those very cheaply (usually around 50 cents) at large retail grocery stores (Krogers, Big Bear, Foodland, etc.) after the fresh vegetable season. They receive quite a few from growers around the country during the summer and rather than throw them away its better to sell them to us. If you need them now, you can order them from Monte Package Co. (PO Box 126, Riverside, MI 49084; ph# 800/653-2807). "Fancier" bushel baskets in varied shapes and sizes are available at Cook's Garden (