The Q&A Archives: Hardenbergia "White Icicles" Ok In A Container?

Question: I have a balcony with a southern exposure where I would like to plant a white hardenbergia (1 gal). How do these vines do in containers? I've gotten mixed reports from different nurseries. I have been growing Vanilla Trumpet vines and Passionflower vines in this location (also in containers) for about two years, with good results.

If the hardenbergias don't do well in containers, what can you recommend as a (color/foliage) complement to the aforementioned vines?

Answer: Hardenbergia need light, well-drained soil such as you'd use to fill a container. There's no reason it will not thrive in a container. Give your Hardenbergia the same care you give your trumpet and passionflower vines and all of your patio plants will reward you with lush foliage and attractive flowers.