The Q&A Archives: Dogwood Tree Appropriate For My Climate?

Question: I am looking to replace a beautiful (but growing too large)Cedar (Eastern Cedar I believe) from the front of our home in San Francisco. Our front faces west and therefore can get some pretty stiff (and cold) summertime fog-driven winds. I love dogwoods and wonder if it would be an appropriate replacement. If so, is there a dogwood tree variety that would not grow larger than 20-25 feet (or smaller) and no wider than 10-15? I also really love Japanese maples but worry about our summer cool wind condition. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I hate to cut down our cedar -- wish there was a home for it someplace!

Answer: Dogwood foliage is a tad delicate and therefore not a good choice for the site you describe. Likewise with Japanese maple. While maples prefer cool summer temperatures, constant winds would dessicate the foliage and the result would not be pretty! Cedars, laurels and pines would be better choices, standing up to the elements without problem. You might also consider Arbutus unedo, the strawberry tree. This is actually a large shrub but can be trained into a tree, with wonderful results. For even more ideas, take a walk or drive around your neighborhood to see what is performing well and what appeals to you. If others can grow it, you can too!

Best wishes with your landscape!