The Q&A Archives: Daylily Recommendation

Question: I'm new to zone 10, and don't know the best plants for my area. Could you recommend a few of the better daylilies that might be used to border my small lawn on one side of my front yard? I've noticed some lilies are much more graceful than others, have a superior form. Out of the thousands available I don't know the best ones. My favorite colors are the softer yellows and pastels, but in this case handsome plants are the most important thing. Height can be anything up to about 30". or, do you have a better idea for a low maintenance lawn border? I love color. Thank you,

Answer: Daylilies are about as rewarding a landscape plant as you can find! Some of the newer hybrids are reblooming and produce flowers over a very long period of time. These are my favorites. The most popular of all daylilies (those that rebloom and have attractive evergreen foliage) include the Starburst series - 'Double Gold Monold', 'Mauve Monve', 'Red Mond', 'Salmon Monon', Susie Monie' Yellow Monow' and Orange Monge'. Of the daylilies that lose their leaves during the winter months, the most spectacular are 'Pink Sparkler' and 'Readers Vision'. Enjoy your flower beds!