The Q&A Archives: Vanderwolf (vanderwulf) Pinus

Question: I have seen this tree spelled both ways, and with a variety of sizes attributed. Can you help? I want a fairly slow growing, blue-green pine, and in some catalogues this fits the bill. I love the tree, but don't want a monster.

Answer: Pinus flexilis `Vanderwulf Pyramid' is a narrow upright tree, growing to 15' high, 8' wide in about 10 years. The beautiful blue needles and dense pyramidal form make this an eye-catching landscape tree. It needs full sun and well drained, moist soil. It is considered a fast-grower. You may be more interested in planting Pinus flexilis `Cesarini Blue'. It's one of the bluest of the limber pines, and is relatively slow growing. You can control the size by snapping off new candles in early spring. It eventually reaches 10' in height.