The Q&A Archives: Full Sun

Question: I have a balcony that faces west, gets the hot afternoon sun. What flowers will survive that? I live in Oregon, but we get hot days in summer, sometimes in the nineties. I wanted to get some hanging geraniums. I have no way to provide any shade.

Answer: Probably the best plant choices for the site you describe are those that perform well in rock gardens. While some of these perennials are small in stature and best planted in containers, others have trailing habits and can be planted in hanging baskets. Try Achillea (yarrow), Aethionema (stonecress), Androsace (rock jasmine), Aquilegia (columbine), Arabis (rock cress), Armeria (thrift), Aurinia saxatilis (Basket-of-Gold), Cerastium tomentosum (Snow-in-Summer), Dianthus, Erigeron (fleabane), Erodium (cranesbill), Gentian, Lithodora diffusa, Oregano, Potentilla, Saxifraga, Sedum (stonecrop), Silene acaulis (cushion pink), Sisyrinchium, Thyme or Veronica (speedwell).