The Q&A Archives: Tree For A Cottage Garden

Question: I am looking for a tree to put in a cottage like garden I am planning. I would like the tree to weep and be an evergreen and one that I can prune to keep it from getting higher than 10 feet. Also could you reccomend some shrubs that would look good along side the tree.
L. Jung

Answer: Ficus benjamina (Weeping Fig) is a broadly spreading evergreen tree with shiny, leathery green leaves that densely cover drooping branches. Ulmus parvifolia 'Drake' (Drake Elm) is more or less evergreen with a spreading, arching, weeping habit. Older trees shed bark, which provides additional interest in the garden. Although they're deciduous, you might also consider twisted forms of willow and hazelnut(corylus). Standard shrubs for cottage gardens include lilac, mock orange, viburnum, sweetshrub (Calycanthus) and shrub-type roses. Enjoy your cottage garden!