The Q&A Archives: Shade Tree Suggestions?

Question: Greetings,

I'm looking for a suggestion for a shade tree for my backyard. While it is in a housing tract, it is a rather large area, and can hold a substantial tree. I live in zones 9 or 18.

I'm thinking evergreen--but not absolutely locked into that (could be deciduous). I find myself drawn to the form presented by ASH/Fraxinus trees.

Can you please offer a suggestion(s)?

Thank you in advance,

Terry Meadows

Answer: Ash trees have a moderate growth rate and an oval to oval-round form. They make excellent shade trees and most provide some autumn foliage color. At maturity you can expect ash trees to reach 20'-25' in height with an equal width.

Other trees with similar form include tulip tree (Lirodendron), Norway maple, Cercis (redbud) and flowering pear (Pyrus calleryana). Pyrus and Lirodendron produce spring flowers. All are tolerant of growing in lawn areas and all are reasonably pest-free landscape trees.

Good luck with your new tree!