The Q&A Archives: Saving Hot Pepper Seeds

Question: I want to start growing my hot peppers from seeds obtained from previous crops. How do I determine which seeds are good for growing, and how do I preserve them after harvesting the peppers from the plant?

Answer: You can test the germination of any type of seed by taking about 10 seeds, placing them between moist paper towels in a plastic bag. Place the bag in a warm place, such as the top of your fridge, and check the seeds in a week or ten days to see how many are beginning to sprout. The result will give you the percent of probable germination of the lot.<br><br>Remove the seeds from your fully ripened peppers and allow them to air dry. They need to be really dry - if they are hard and crunchy when you bite onto them, they should store well. Then put them in an air tight container and store in a cool, dark location.