The Q&A Archives: Yellow Bird Magnolia

Question: Can you give me some information about the "Yellow Bird" magnolia bush? How big does it get? When does it bloom? what kind of care should I give it? Thank you.

Answer: Yellow Bird blooms for 2-3 weeks in early to late spring. The trees leaf out at bloom time bearing 3 inch flowers in vivid canary yellow. It grows vigorously and quickly into an upright tree with pyramidal form. Mature size is generally 40' in height with a 20' width. Magnolias appreciate fairly rich, well-drained, neutral to slightly acidic soil amended with organic matter at the time of planting. Water deeply and thoroughly as the tree is becoming established, and feed annually to avoid chlorosis of the leaves. Enjoy your new magnolia!