The Q&A Archives: Freesia

Question: I am totally new to gardening. I just bought a freesia today. I would like to know whether freesia is easy to take care of. Will it last?

Answer: Freesia is not only lovely to look at, but the beautiful flowers produce a wonderful fragrance! Freesia is a perennial plant that grows from a corm (like a gladiola). The corm stores carbohydrates for the plant which it uses after it has rested for a few months after blooming. Your freesia will grow in full sun or partial shade and will need to be watered regularly while it is growing and blooming. When it is finished blooming for the season the leaves will turn yellow and die. At that time stop watering and allow the plant to rest during the summer months. When it's ready to grow and bloom it will send out new leaves. When this happens, begin watering regularly and it will bloom again for you. Enjoy your new freesia!