The Q&A Archives: Trees That Screen And Shrubs

Question: I am looking for a variety of choices for types of trees that screen. I am trying to block out the view into my neighbors property. Can you provide some names of trees that I can use?

Also, I am looking for a list of shrubs that also are fairly dense, with color, and leaves all year round that could provide a good boundary for the back of my pool area.

Can you help!?

Thank you
Valerie Petredis

Answer: Some of the more popular screening trees include Thuja (American Arborvitae), an evergreen with dense, pyramidal growth, Prunus lusitanic (a broadleaf evergreen), Carissa (natal plum), and Myrtus (myrtle). Good choices for planting near swimming pools include Camellia, Fatsia japonica (Japanese aralia), Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (Chinese hibiscus), Pittosporum tobira, and Viburnum davidii.