The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Red Fountain Grass Planted But Not Growing

Question: In late Feb. I planted 3 dwarf red fountain grasses, 1 gal. size. I planted them under liquidambar trees where they receive part sun, part shade. They haven't grown at all so far. They look the same as they did when I bought them. How long does it take for fountain grass to become established and start growing?

Answer: Fountain grass can take several months to become established, especially if weather is cold. Now that spring is here, your plants should begin to put out new growth. Since you planted beneath trees, expect that the tree roots will compete with the roots of your fountain grass for moisture and nutrients. To offset this, water the grass thoroughly once each week, making sure the moisture trickles down to wet the entire root mass. Feed every 4 weeks with a diluted liquid fertilizer during the growing season and your fountain grass is sure to get its fair share of food. Best wishes with your landscape!