The Q&A Archives: Propagation Of Pampas Grass

Question: I live near the coast of California where Pampas and Jubata Grass have become a major problem, invading wild areas and escaping from cultivation. I would like to know if any of your varieties of Pampas Grass are sterile and thus present no danger of escaping from their specific landscaping situation. Also, are there any plants that look similar to Pampas grass and are either native or non-invasive (I thought yucca, perhaps). Thank you!

Answer: The lovely plumes that pampas grass develops is where the seeds are produced. To keep accidental plants from sprouting, you can cut the plumes down about 3 weeks after they emerge, and before the seeds mature and are spread by the wind. Other plants with similar foliage include yucca, kniphofia (red hot poker), and some of the larger ornamental grasses such as Muhlenbergia (bamboo muhly), Phalaris (ribbon grass) and Stipia (feather grass). Hope these suggestions help you choose just the right plant for your landscape!