The Q&A Archives: Black Jack Fig Tree Distance From Other Trees?

Question: I just purchased a drawf black jack fig that came from Monrovia. I planted it 6 feet (trunk to trunk) from a young choke cherry tree and realized that maybe it should be further away. How far should this fig tree be from other trees? Will it hurt the tree if I relocate it?

Answer: Black Jack fig can reach up to 10' tall and wide, but is easily kept smaller with regular pruning. Six feet between the trees may be a little too close. If they're crowded, they'll compete for moisture and nutrients and one may shade the other. Since you've only just planted the fig, you shouldn't do it any harm by moving it over a few feet. (3-4 feet should provide ample room) To lessen transplant shock, water the fig tree well the day before you plan to move it; wait until late afternoon (unless it's a cloudy day), and water it well after you've replanted it.