The Q&A Archives: Shrub Descriptions

Question: I am planning a garden and my landscaper has given me the name of some shrubs but I don't know what they look like. If you have any pictures of the following, please e-mail them back to me. The plants are: queen palm, crape myrtle, coast live oak, privet, star jasmin, dwarf rosemary, raphiolpsis indica 'clara', marathon sod, & bougainvillea 'madonna'.

Answer: There are a number of library books that will not only show you pictures of the plants, but will explain their cultural requirements. Your gardener/landscaper probably has copies in the office. Try 'Sunset Western Garden Book', Sunset Publishing,ISBN 0-376-380-0 or 'Right Plant, Right Place' by Nicola Ferguson, Summit Books, ISBN 0-671-52396-1 or 'Shrubs', a Random House Publication by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix, ISBN 0-679-72345-5<br><br>Garden Escape ( may have photos of many of these plants on-line as well.<br><br>Enjoy your new landscape!