The Q&A Archives: Shade Shrubs/trees With Color

Question: I currently have podocarpus trees surrounding the perimeter of my yard, and apricot abutulons, makay abella and 3 sweet olive shrubs and 2 vanilla trumpet vines (all in predominantly shaded area) and need to fill in with different levels and more color. I need to rework this particular area and am having difficulty with selection due to lack of knowledge.

Answer: Some good choices for shady gardens include Hydrangea, Nandina (heavenly bamboo), Pieris, Azalea, Skimmia, Acanthus (bear's breech), Astilbe, Begonia, Browallia (amethyst flower), Campanula, Coleus, Cyclamen, Ferns, Gentian, Heuchera (coral bells), Hosta, Lily, Lobelia, Pansy, Liriope (lily turf) and Lamium (dead nettle). All produce seasonal bloom and a combination of these plant suggestions will provide you with different heights and foliage textures to add interest to your garden.