The Q&A Archives: Gardenia Planting And Maintenance

Question: Hi: I have for the past two years trying unsuccessfully to
have a gardenia grow in a pot ..
I would appreciate advice for planting and maintenance
of gardenias on ground and pots
1) Where to plant (sun, shade, area of garden)
2) Watering == what works best in summer and in winter..
[how often, how to tell the plant needs more or less]
3) Fertilizing for a) Potted and b) on ground
- and how often.

Answer: Growing healthy gardenia plants can be a challenge, even for seasoned gardeners. You're lucky, though, because your mild weather makes it possible to grow gardenia's outdoors. Many gardeners must winter them over indoors.

Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). An abundance of moisture and high humidity is the most important factor in successful gardenia culture.

Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!