The Q&A Archives: Small Tree With Dark Pink Flowers

Question: I would appreciate a suggestion of a small tree for my entrance area. The tree should at most be 9-10 ft tall and 4 ft wide. I would like it to be evergreen and bloom pink flowers with green leaves in Spring or Summer. The location of this tree is facing west and is on a sunny spot. On the other side of my entrance patio, I have a white flowering dogwood. The rest of the patio has Heavenly Bamboo, ferns and Azaleas. I live in zone 9. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

P.S. (I have ruled out Crepe Myrtle. They are too dirty.)

Answer: While I can't find a pink flowering evergreen tree, I can suggest Pyrus (flowering pear). The blooms are white, but otherwise the tree fits the critera. If you have your heart set on a pink flowering tree, you might try crabapple (malus 'Jewelberry'). It's deciduous but produces lovely pink flowers in the springtime.